Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Triple Dose

I am utterly exhausted. I would write about my baby shower that was held on Saturday (which turned out to be phenomenal), and eventually I will, but instead I think I'll choose to embark on a tale that began Monday and ended in a paramedics visit, the emergency vet and finally, the death of a not-so-close in relation, but close in blood family member...all in one night. Needless to say, it was quite the day and I for one am so worn, I'm not sure how I'm going to walk from my car to my office this morning.

The paramedic visit began when I lost a huge filling 3 weeks ago. It was so huge that it felt like I had lost an entire molar. While I really wanted to postpone dental work until after delivery, I was told in no uncertain terms that my tooth would likely crack in half and be lost completely if I didn't act immediately, prompting an inevitable dental emergency (someone is clearly of English descent here :). So, they put a temporary crown on and I returned Monday afternoon for the permanent crown. The doc asked if I wanted anesthetic and indicated that some people go without but that the procedure can expose nerves and be 'uncomfortable' and 'sensitive' at best. Due to the fact that 'excruciating pain' didn't work it's way into his description and that I believe in the approach of 'the less meds the better' for the little one, I decided against anesthetic.

The procedure was...not comfortable. He scraped along some exposed nerves with his instruments, leaving me to audibly moan a bit, but it was over with pretty quickly. I was relieved when he went to fit the crown and said, "the worst is over. you'll not need any anesthetic after all." It was right then, just as he began meddling with the crown in my mouth that it all started. First, I began to sweat a cold, clammy sweat. The room temperature felt as if it had increased exponentially and then the nausea set in. I contemplated not saying anything for fear of being a drama queen but when I looked in front of me and noticed that instantaneously I fell dizzy and was beginning to see spots in front of me, I knew something was wrong and asked that the chair be raised (probably not the best move). From what I could tell, my dentist looked startled and was studying me nervously. Later I learned all the color had drained from my face. Although he was asking me questions, for the first time in my life I was actually unable to respond. When the framed dental poster in front of me began to fade and tunnell into black, I touched my stomach and said without faultering,

"Call someone. Call an ambulence."

My fear of being a drama queen had clearly left the building. All I could think about was the baby.

Just when I knew I was a second away from passing out, the dental poster began to flicker back into view slowly, as if someone was dialing up the lights in the room. The blood gradually returned to my face and the rush of heat in my limbs was emptying out. It took a few minutes, but I was able to come to enough to explain what had happened and also to realize that the ambulence was on its way. By the time they arrived, I was alert and although I felt slightly embarrassed, I had no apologies because of the baby. The little guy began to wiggle around and I exhaled a gust of relief. After they took my vitals, blood sugar, etc. (which all came back normal) I was feeling well enough to get up on my own.

I was still sitting there with an exposed tooth, so the team looked on as my dentist quickly cemented the permanent in. It's not everyday that you get dental work done with 5 of the fire department's finest standing in attendance, is it? I decided against the trip to the hospital and instead insisted on Mr. S picking me up to which they agreed given that all of the color had returned to my face and I was able to walk around. Mr. S arrived and I got into contact with my OB on the way to the hospital who sounded as unconcerned as a doctor could be. Apparantly, I had a vasovagal response.

Yeah, I'm not a medical professional, so don't go asking me what it is, but if you click on the link and scroll half-way down (or look it up on We.b MD or Wi.kipedia) you'll get a better idea. Apparantly it happens more frequently in pregnant women and is pretty innocuous, so we headed back for home. Now as far as the trigger, it could have been any number of things or a combination: stress (work has been eating me alive, the weekend had been non-stop, and the dentist is not exactly my place to party), pain (trust me, there was pain), and lying flat on my back. I've also had bad insomnia, anxiety and nightmares lately, which has had me keyed up. Perhaps it was a recipe waiting to be concocted. The straw that broke the camel's back.

So, Mr. S and I went home and figuring it would be a relaxing enough activity, I propped myself up in the nursery on a pillow with my laptop in hand as he put the crib together when our girl cat came in, wiggled her butt over the directions on the floor and peed. This is a cat who has never had any behavioral issues and within the last day, I had seen her spend all of her time in the cat box. So, we made a plan to go to the emergency vet later that evening (she looked really uncomfortable and everything was closed) when I checked the evil F.acebook. Two of my relatives messaged me to tell me that my half-sister (who I have not seen since I was 7 or 8) was found dead that afternoon. Oy.

When they say bad things come in threes, they're not kidding.

So, after I broke the news to my Mom who told my Dad, Mr. S and I took miss kitty to the vet and so far, she's not doing much better. She spends her entire day in the cat box or licking. I spend my days exhausted to the core and overwhelmed with work. I was planning on working until a week before I'm due, but after that incident, I think I'll be looking at closer to 3 weeks off beforehand. Life and work are starting to get to me. My capacity to handle everyday occurances has been whittled and I'm even wondering how I'll get through the next month. When people told me that I'd be tired during the third trimester, I truly had no concept of what they were describing. Until now.


Michelle said...

OMG what a day!

First when you said you opted for nothing at the dentist I cringed because I knew what that would bring. I did that ONCE. I know why you did it but OUCH!!

Glad you recovered from that.

Sorry about your sis that is never a good thing to hear!

I hope your kitty feels better soon. I know all too well about sick animals at the moment.

Take care of yourself. I think 3 weeks prior would be a good idea.


Mr. Shelby said...

Oh, you forgot the fourth dose of that day... Falling on your ass climbing over the cat gate...

My poor baby...

cheryllookingforward said...

That's a crazy amount of things to go through in one year! I hope your cat gets better soon!

Another Dreamer said...

What a day!

The vasovagal fainting... yeah, I get like that sometimes. Not often, but it is freaky when it happens!

Hope the kitty feels better!

Sorry about your half-sibling. Almost all of my siblings (except one) are half-siblings, but we are close... the rest of my family, however... I have over a hundred cousins and I don't talk to any of them. I am sad and feel bad for their families when something happens to them, but I don't feel like I am part of their family either. So I can sort of understand what you are saying. They are all drug addicts, abusive types, alcoholics, or just the type of people I could do without...

Jendeis said...

What a day. I'm sorry for your loss and hope that your kitty gets better soon.

Tara said...

Wow. I am so sorry about all of this.

Try to get as much rest as possible...3 weeks before isn't a bad idea at all!

Nikki said...

OMG! Going to a dentist and opting for no pain help is extremely brave! Ouch!!

Glad you recovered quickly and all is well.

Sorry about your half-sister. My sympathies to her family and friends.

Hope little kitty cat feels better soon!

Melissa G said...

Wow, what a brutal day. I'm so sorry for your loss. And sending good thoughts to your kitty.

The Swann's said...

Oh wow! Sounds like one crazy horrible day!!!! I think you should take some additional time off before baby boy gets here to just recover and get ready for his arrival!! I'm so very sorry it was a day for you...

Courtney said...

What a story... you are inspiring by the way you handled all of that. I can't even imagine what you were feeling. I'm glad you're thinking about taking off from work a little earlier. I hope you're able to get some rest for the weary! Good luck!

Sarang said...

Scary, K-Sis, scary!

You were very brave to do the dental procedure with no meds...but I totally get why you did.

When you called for the ambulance I got teary at work and had to stop reading your post and come back to it! (I knew you were okay since I'd already gotten an email after this had happened).

I'm sorry you've been under anxiety and having the nightmares, too. I'm just glad you emerged okay from the dentist office.

I'm also sorry to hear about your half sister's passing.

I hope your kitty gets better and is okay.

And I hope you do take all the time off you need in advance of Baby G's arrival.


Suzanne said...

Oh dear God! What a day!
Did the vet mention anything about bladder stones? I've had 2 cats that have gotten them and it causes frequent urination, urinating outside of the box. It's more common in male cats but my current female kitty had them and we ended up doing surgery to remove them. Just a thought.

Lorraine said...

Um... yikes! I think you are due for some very calm uneventful days now, if that whole law-of-averages thing works out...

Hope your kitty is gets to be part of that balance, too!

Lost in Space said...

Wow, girl, I know things come it 3's, but not usually all in the same day.

I'm glad you and baby are alright! I hope all is okay with your furbaby and I am so sorry for your family's loss.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe all of this happened to you! You poor thing. I hope you're able to take a few days and rest and recover from all this.

I'm sorry about your half-sister, and your sick kitty too. Around Christmas we started having the same problems with our cat. The vet couldn't really figure it out, we tried meds and all sorts of things. Eventually we realized that our other cat was eating up all his wet food when we turned our backs, so he was dehydrated. We now have to feed them separately and keep an eye on them, plus we've switched to prescription wet food and are giving bigger servings. Everything's been fine for a few months now. I hope it is something that simple for your little guy.

Hope you are feeling better!