Friday, August 2, 2013

Mom, I Get It

Mom, I get it. I do. And I'm sorry it took losing you to have such clarity.

I remember well that you were never the same after you lost your own mom. You told me how the first time you left home with your new husband, you returned home a few months later and wept when you held her as you realized how much you missed her. You told me that you still remembered her scent so many years later and it made you long for her. You bathed her, changed her diapers, and watched her die. Her death came as suddenly as yours did for me. You began drinking regularly after she was gone and now I get it. It took losing you for me to see how a piece of you died the day she did. I never got that until now.

I'm sorry I never understood what it was like for you to lose your mother until you were gone. Now I know.

7 comments:

AnotherDreamer said...

(*HUGS*)

Lorraine said...

Oh, my dear. This post made me sob out loud, mostly because I don't think I'll ever feel this way about my mother. You were blessed, you were loved, you were connected, you were special. Let that lift you, it is the gift of a lifetime.

I wish it didn't have to be so hard for it to be so beautiful.

It Is What It Is said...

So hard, so lovely.

Ann said...

Sending hugs your way. I get this so much, but with my dad. I wish I had a cure-all or the right words to say to let you know it will all be okay. Know you are thought of...

Claudia said...

Oh, I'm so so sorry.

Shelby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelby said...

Thank you, all. I am really appreciative of your support! :)