Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Will Not Be Silent, Yo!




The awesomeness that is Michelle at To Baby and Beyond (which always makes me think of Bed Bath and Beyond-I'm such a shopping FIEND) has nominated me for my first online award...w00t! She nominated me like, 5 years ago, but because I am exhausted to the bone and frankly, kinda lazy, it took me a little while to get around to it. The spirit of this award is to recognize those who have not been silent about their IF and since I began this blog, I have truly 'come out of the closet' in so many respects. Sure, not everyone in my life is aware, but to be honest, those who don't know are too stupid to handle the information in an intelligent way anyway. :)

For more information, I invite you to read this wonderful post that seriously describes ME to a T. And, I suspect, YOU. And as a recent injectables user, I wanted to add the following to the list:

-If you have more sharps containers to dispose of per month than a diabetic.

Holy cow. I need to call a hazardous waste truck just to get rid of it all.

Rules for posting award:

1. Link to this post so that others will read the original story behind the award
2. Nominate 4 others who have not been "silent about their infertility"
3. Enjoy speaking out and speaking up :D

And the nominees are:

1. Sarang!!
2. Nikki!!
3. Tara!!
4. Nity!!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Aww, thanks for the nomination! Coming out has made a huge difference in my life...I hated the way my "secret" made me feel. But, I have to caution those considering it, know your audience! The comments I got from my 40-year old painfully single girlfriend, my gay male friend, my overly fertile girlfriend and my friend who adopted were all very different. Some amazingly supportive...some completely clueless. I braced myself ahead of time and tried not to make it about their responses, but just my feeling "free".

I still have not "come out" to my parents, though my mother certainly suspects as she asked, "Have you seen a doc.." and (gratefully) cut herself off. I'm gearing up for that talk someday.

banditgirl said...

Very, very good point--know your audience. It may not be able to come out to everyone. And even when you do, you may need to choose different coming out narratives for each individual. I am reading the Alice Domar book, the section on how to tell people and how to express your needs, and it is very helpful. I am realizing that for me one narrative won't do. I will have to tailor it and negotiate differently with different friends from different times and areas of my life. I am still figuring it out. And sometimes even after feeling good about the decision to tell and feeling good about the coming out conversation it can change and I can feel like the biggest idiot in the world who should hide until all this is done. We learn as we go I guess, but it is key to think about it, I think, and try out different options, and talk to other people about their experiences and strategies.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Best to you on your online Award and also for being open and speaking out about IF.

Nikki said...

Thanks for the nomination Shelby. I'm probably going to talk about it my whole life now, whatever be the end of my story :-)

banditgirl said...

I am toooorrrn! Please don't put me in a position to choose! Can I nominate three people for the award? I am so biased. This will not be a value-free, empirically sound decision if I have to make it. But I hope I don't!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks Shelby! You rock too. I've posted a response to this on my blog for you to check out.
**HUGS**