Sunday, December 14, 2008

Can I Send My Parents the Bill for My IF Treatment Now?

I didn't just grow up in a house of smokers, I grew up in a house of CHAIN smokers. The consequences? Well, both of my parents have severe emphysema, my Dad is on an oxygen tank, and THIS makes you wonder long and hard. As a child, I always promised my parents I would one day become the president of the American Lung Association. If I didn't have enough motivation to do so before, I might now.

(dang. the above article got pulled. in short, it was a study linking second hand smoke exposure as a child/young adult to both infertility and miscarriage)

4 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

The clinical evidence is really damning. I'm sorry, I hope your parents are emotionally supportive if not financially supportive.

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, meant alot. ((Hugs))

Lost in Space said...

Ouch, that one stings a little. Hugs, Shelby.

banditgirl said...

Wow. Growing up in Eastern Europe could have something to do with it? But so did my other friends, and they are getting pregnant like crazy. Still. I wonder. Sometimes I don't want to know about any research. What can I do now?

Guera! said...

My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me and among other things I had several ear infections when I was a child...the kind with huge abscesses that bled and now I have scars on my eardrums. I had pneumonia as a toddler and had to spend several days in the hospital. I remember being sick and sleeping on the sofa and waking up to see an ashtray on the table next to my head with my mother's cigarettes burning away. Even when her child was sick she couldn't at least smoke somewhere else. Smoking is so harmful that I would not be a bit surprised to see a link to infertility. What does the RE tell you on your first consult? Stop drinking caffeine and STOP SMOKING.